Katie Oberlin, Healing Touch Certified Practitioner and Instructor, was interviewed by Anne Deatly from the Donna Eden Energy Medicine Program. What is Healing Touch? Why did Katie get involved in the Healing Touch Program? Tune in here!
Are you looking for resources that open doors to a new paradigm in health care?
We live in a time of accelerating advances in medicine, technology, and scientific research. At the same time, we are re-discovering the ancient wisdom and practices of indigenous cultures throughout the world. Studies in quantum physics and anthropology have fascinating similarities. Energy Medicine is an emerging field which recognizes these connections and the vital role of energy in creating health and happiness.
The best place to start is with Healing Touch, leaders in Energy Medicine.
Are you ready to explore your health using a method that is nationally accredited and supported by research?
- a holistic, heart-centered energy modality that supports overall well-being
- a healing treatment for illness, injury, stress management, emotional concerns, and more
- a collaborative and empowering partnership between client and practitioner in which the client’s innate healing ability is revealed
Find out more about Healing Touch Program’s endorsements and national accreditations.
Would you like to feel better?
- Disease prevention, relaxation, health enhancement
- Lifestyle evaluation, planning, and transformation
- Stress management
- Emotional issues and physical trauma
- Pain management and treatment of headaches
- Surgical preparation and recovery
- Accelerated healing of fractures, wounds, and burns
- Reduction of cancer-related side effects from chemotherapy or radiation
- Treatment of chronic illness, including cardiovascular disease, autoimmune disorders, arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, digestive issues
- Pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postpartum care of mother and infant
- End of life care and grief management
- Spiritual enhancement
“I just wanted to let you know that my dad passed away this afternoon. I was so glad that I got to see him one more time and tell him I loved him. He died peacefully, and I just know that he is in a better place now. Thank you very much for all that you have done for me in the Healing Touch sessions. I know that they have been so helpful for me. See you soon.” -Steph (Oak Park, IL)
Are you interested in learning more about energy healing?
The human body is an amazing package, comprised of cells, tissues, organs and systems that are beautifully designed to keep us alive and healthy. And, of course, we are more than physical beings. Our energy systems also support the emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of who we are. Energy flows throughout our bodies via the chakras and meridians, and is contained within our aura, or biofield. When we are well, energy flows freely and smoothly and we are able to self-heal and maintain a natural state of balance called homeostasis. When we are injured, ill, or under stress, the flow of energy becomes blocked or out of balance. Healing Touch uses gentle, non-invasive methods to clear blocked energy and restore harmony on all levels of our being. It’s an excellent complement to conventional medical and psychological care for all ages and stages of life.
“In a few decades scientists have gone from a conviction that there is no such thing as an energy field around the human body, to an absolute certainty that it exists. Moreover, science is explaining the roles of energy fields in health and disease.”~Energy Medicine: The Scientific Basis by James Oschmann, PhD
For more information about the research that supports Healing Touch, visit the Healing Touch Program Research website.
Healing Touch classes are open to anyone interested in learning how to use their hands and heart to facilitate healing in others. It is a wonderful adjunct to all methods of healthcare. However, you do not have to be in a healthcare profession to learn. Many individuals take Healing Touch classes for their own self care and to share with family and friends.
For more information, check out our classes and workshops.
Who founded the Healing Touch Program?
Janet Mentgen created Healing Touch based on a medical model for health care.She was a holistic nurse, healer, and visionary with a deep understanding of the theory and practice of energy healing. She founded the Healing Touch Program in 1989 with the intention of bringing the benefits of this energy medicine modality to health care settings throughout the world. Healing Touch is now taught and practiced in medical and nursing schools, long term care centers, hospices, integrative medicine clinics, and communities on every continent. Thousands of practitioners continue to honor Janet’s legacy through their work. Practitioner certification requires a rigorous training program, as well as a commitment to practicing under a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Healing Touch is endorsed by the American Holistic Nurses Association (AHNA) and National Certification Board for Massage Therapy and Bodywork(NCBTMB), and accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
Preparing for your First Session
Our time together actually begins before you arrive with practitioner preparation. This includes my own personal daily self-care practice, as well as a review of your treatment records and energetic preparation of my treatment room. This enables me to be completely present with you when you arrive.
If this is your first appointment, we will begin with a review of your intake form and I will gather information about your lifestyle, medical history, and any current physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual concerns. Long term and short term goals or intentions for treatment are identified and discussed, creating a wellness plan that is tailor-made for your unique interests and needs. Subsequent appointments begin with a dialogue which gives you an opportunity to describe your experiences since the last appointment, update any health changes, and assess your progress.
Next, you will be asked to remove your shoes and invited to lie, clothed comfortably, on a treatment table. Occasionally, a client will prefer to be treated sitting in a chair. After assessing your energy field, I will use a variety of techniques with the hands above or, with your permission, in light contact with your body to clear blocked energy associated with discomfort and disease, energize the field, and enhance the flow of energy throughout the body. Most people feel deeply relaxed, and occasionally experience a dream-like state. You might feel a variety of sensations such as tingling, temperature fluctuations, internal movement, or emotional release. Sometimes you will not feel any physical sensations. Each person is different, and each session is different. Re-assessment at the end of the session confirms that the energy has shifted towards a more clear and balanced state.
The session ends with a short period of rest which allows the work to begin integrating. When you are ready to sit up, you will be encouraged to drink water while we discuss your experience and any insights gained from the treatment. Common client remarks following a treatment include:
- “My headache is gone.”
- “The pain in my back was off the charts when we began. Now, it is much more manageable. I would say on the pain scale it has gone from a 10 to a 4.”
- “I feel so much more relaxed, positive, and hopeful.”
- “I feel lighter.”
- “Chemotherapy has been challenging. These Healing Touch treatments have helped me get through it. I am less nauseous and constipated, less anxious.”
- “I have gained some important insights today. I feel more clear-headed and confident about talking to my manager at work about some situations that need to change.”
- “It is such a relief to be able to let go of past experiences that have been holding me back. I am no longer afraid. I am at peace.”
The energy continues to shift for a few days after the session. I will recommend simple things you can do to promote continued healing, and suggest helpful reading or methods of self-care. You play an active role in your own healing. I am here to facilitate the process.
Your initial appointment will last 75-90 minutes. Follow-ups are usually 60-75 minutes, unless we have arranged for more in-depth work such as trauma release.
Wear comfortable clothing. If you choose to eat prior to your appointment, that’s fine, although you may want to choose a light meal or snack.
If possible, spend some time reflecting on your goals, intentions, and aspirations. Acknowledge your progress and challenge yourself to whatever degree is comfortable for you. Remember that you will be welcomed into a caring, safe environment where you can explore, learn, grow, and heal.
If you have a question that you don’t see here, please get in touch with Katie.
Here are some case studies that illustrate the benefits of Healing Touch:
- Pediatrics and Healing Touch – Read about Lisa, age 9, who received Healing Touch to help with tummy aches.
- Support During Times of Transition – Find out how Healing Touch helped Hilary find strength following the loss of a friend, as well as a career change and move to a new city.
- A New Twist on Mind Clearing – A technique often used to relieve headaches and promote relaxation was used to help someone become more flexible and open-minded.
- Healing Touch for the Elderly -96-year-old Barbara finds confidence and peace of mind.
- Too Much On Your Plate? Try the Chakra Connection – A technique that promotes balance in our lives.
- Centering and Grounding – A simple method for managing stress.
For the latest in research, check out the Healing Touch Program Research website.
ANCC Accreditation: Healing Touch Program is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s COA. Learn More.
NCCA Accreditation: On January 15, 2014, the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) granted accreditation to the Healing Touch Program – Healing Touch Certified Practitioner (HTCP). Learn More.